Regular status update of IBES FZ-LLC activities and status of operation.
Good day to you all. This is the second update from us about progress on development and testing of our biomass generator. May has been a very busy month and we have made headway with putting together the system. However, we haven’t met all the milestones we set for the month. In short, we are one month delayed compared to the plan we set out earlier this year and we have adjusted the schedule accordingly. In any case, I leave the details for the update below.
Update #2, May 2017
Prototype unit being readied for endurance testing in Dubai
As mentioned, we are about one month behind schedule. The delay is due partly to parts being late coming in, partly because of scheduling conflicts for our lead engineer. That said, considerable progress has been made during the last month. The engine has been re-assembled with new parts, a redesigned base plate for the engine/alternator assembly has been installed and everything hooked up to the boiler. The engine has been tested without load and runs fine (see short video below).
Apart from the challenges with the heat exchanger (see below) what is pending is to install and connect the alternator to the engine. We are also waiting to take delivery of the computer interface and transducers needed to monitor the system while running the tests (ETA is mid-June).
The boiler is in its current configuration not generating steam with the required parameters. The engine requires 1000 psi at 550 Centigrade while we only have achieved 50-60% of that. The root problem lies with the heat exchanger in the boiler which restricts the chimney draft. Currently we are considering two options: 1. Revise the design of the heat exchanger to make it less restrictive; and 2. Forced flow in the chimney. We have decided to try with option 2 first and are in the process of getting the solution built.
The video shows a short run of the engine, without the alternator attached. The analogue gauge to the left shows the pressure into the engine (out of the heat exchanger) while that on the right is pressure after the engine (pressure in psi). The digital readout on the right shows steam temperature into the engine (top) and exhaust (bottom). Both are in centigrade. As you can see, the values for both pressure and temperature are way below our targets (1000psi and 550 Centigrade (1000 Fahrenheit)).
Schedule for the next three months
May and first part of June: Finalizing the integration of the system and initial testing.
June and July: endurance testing. The system will be run 24/7 and the goal is to get at least 500 hours of operation without incidents on it. The system will be shut down and the engine inspected for wear and tear regularly: every 10 hours at the start and, at progressively longer periods, thereafter.
August: end of endurance testing
If and when testing is successful, IBES will start preparations for manufacturing of production units. If you would like additional information, we can be contacted via email or phone (see Contact page)