Regular status update of IBES FZ-LLC activities and status of operation.
Good day to you all. This is the third update from us about progress on development and testing of our biomass generator. June was another busy month and all the parts are now together. We are, however, sliding further behind with our schedule and are now two months behind the original schedule. What continues to delay the endurance testing is the heat exchanger which we still have to get to produce steam with the correct parameters.
Update #3, June 2017
Prototype unit being readied for endurance testing in Dubai
In June we have received the last missing parts and finalised the integration of all components, most visibly the alternator.
In our last update I mentioned that we would first try increasing the draft in the flue to resolve the heat exchanger issue. With the solution, a fan forcing air through the flue, we saw big improvements but we have still not met the target values. Therefore, we have turned our attention to the heat exchanger (HX) itself.
When dismantling the current HX we found some build-up on the inside of the pipe, possibly leading to less energy being transferred to the fluid/steam inside the pipe. After consulting with our partners, we are re-designing the HX layout as well as upgrading to a more heat resilient pipe material. Unfortunately, this has led to an additional month of delay. On the positive side, the engine has run flawlessly for the 10 hours or so it has been in operation.
The main challenge remains the heat exchanger. As mentioned above we have increased the output (to about 800psi) by forcing the draft in the flue but we are still not meeting the target values: 1000psi and 550 Centigrade. Our next step to resolve this is to redesign the HX.
The video below shows a short run of the engine, with the alternator attached. As you can see from the gauges we reach a maximum pressure of about 800psi but with a relatively low temperature of 270 Centigrade. The engine runs at about 900rpm, which is short of the 1500rpm needed. Note that the pressure gauge to the right erroneously is showing in excess of 2000psi.
Schedule for the next three months
July and first half of August: Redesign and manufacture new heat exchanger and test.
Second part of August to mid-October: endurance testing. The system will be run 24/7 and the goal is to get at least 500 hours of operation without incidents on it. The system will be shut down and the engine inspected for wear and tear regularly: every 10 hours at the start and, at progressively longer periods, thereafter.
If and when testing is successful, IBES will start preparations for manufacturing of production units. If you would like additional information, we can be contacted via email or phone (see Contact page)